I have always wished that every day could feel like Friday. Ahhhhh… Fridays. A day, where you wake up with optimism; a keen new perspective on the day ahead and inner reflection on the week that is ending. I’m deep like that. Friday’s fly by quickly (making the rest of the week seem even longer!), people aren’t as serious (they’re sometimes even dog-gone pleasant!), and you know with a degree of certainty that you won’t have to hit the dreaded ‘snooze’ button five times on Saturday morning. Oh, glorious Saturday! You carry a sense of anticipation throughout the day for the never-ending possibility of what Friday night’s activities may entail; where you can do as little or as much as you would like. Well, I can; everyone else must adhere to my delegated task list!
Mouks loves Friday’s because school’s out for the weekend, and it’s ‘Pizza Day’, where he can gorge himself with his favourite food. (Because, seriously, what 10-year-old boy does not love a little ‘ZZA?!) He is excited for a full night of hangin’ out, and staying up late – and he literally radiates with anticipation for his first buddy to arrive for what will be an ENTIRE marathon weekend of Lego and Wii. Whereas I am carefully devising my ‘mental preparedness plan’, which includes when, where and how long, to nap.
When I asked the Big D, why Friday is his favourite day he replied with his usual philosophical wisdom (and witty chuckle; the one where he laughs at his own joke before he tells it), “‘Cause it’s Friday”. Ahhh yes…. profound. What’s not to love?!
Friday’s are Hopeful. Optimistic. Joyful. And now, every day is Friday, in Smackiland.
Exactly 363 days after our beloved Snor’eo passed away, many months of mourning and oceans full of tears later, we welcomed a new pooch in the ville to share all of our pent up puppy love with. No shortage of a supply in our abode!
And, very fittingly, her name, is FRIDAY. (T.G.I.F!)
And now, every day, we are greeted as though we are the most awesome’est pack in the whole animal kingdom, with full body tail wags and slobbery kisses.
Friday’s Favourite Pastimes: Hunting for duck stuffies, snorking the stuffing out of ducks stuffies, chewing rawhides (and duck stuffies), tearing apart boxes (ohhhh, and did I mention, duck stuffies?), begging for food, running, playing, hugging, sleeping, cuddling. (And hogging the bed).
Date of Birth: Some time mid-July 2012. Six months and still growing.
Breed: Catahoula / Mountain Cur Mix. (Yup…. Gotta love ‘google’; apparently, the Catahoula Leopard Dog is the official dog for the State of Louisiana!) – We lovingly call her our little Catahooligan!
Place of Birth: Ashland, Kentucky (American born; Just like the Big D!)
Originally Rescued by: AARF, Ashland Animal Rescue Fund in Kentucky
Ottawa Rescue Agency: Catahoula Rescue Inc. (Ontario) Ottawa
Heartfelt thanks and gratitude to:
- Those who first rescued this sweet little ‘pupper-do’.
- Those who pulled her from the shelter and saw her potential.
- Those who housed her, fed her, cared for her and gave her medical attention before she even made the trek to the Great White North.
- Those who transported her and nurtured her during what was surely a very long journey.
- Those who pulled the strings behind the scenes in Canada to bring her here knowing that eventually she would find her ‘pack’, and for continuing to save the lives of countless other furry friends. Gloria Baggs, the rumours are true; you are amazing!
- Those who donated funds, food, supplies, time, effort into helping our little Friday, and all of her puppy pals.
- Those who adopted from a rescue agency opening up a space for her to be saved.
- Those who foster these sweet dogs with comfort, understanding and unconditional love, until they find their new families. Trish McQuhae you TOTALLY rock! And Diesel, you giant great dane puddy-tat, we have photo evidence of some Friday cuddles!
- To all those countless others who understand that a rescued dog may actually be the one rescuing you.
- And to our beloved dog Oreo… thank you for opening our hearts to how truly amazing life can be, when a ‘pupper-do’ becomes part of your family.
❤ Thanks D! xo We have to arrange a meeting!
Love it!!! I think not only did you rescue Friday, but Friday rescued you. You bring joy to each other : )
Awww…. We’re all pretty darn lucky! Sometimes the right people, and the right puppies come into your lives at the right time!
Sherri, you forgot one thing on your list: Thank you to you… the amazing family who opened their home but more importantly their hearts to loving this lil’ cuddle bug. She is the luckiest puppy!
Thanks Trish! We feel pretty blessed to have her. My fave is when Ben gives her a pat, and says, “ohhh, you’re a good pupper-do”!!!
You made me cry tears of joy Sherri. Thank you! Gloria and all the amazing people at Cathoula Rescue Ontario.
Ohhhh Gloria, words cannot express….. ❤
Yes, friday, is very special, and ‘cute’
And she loves her Baba! 😉
Sher!!!! I was so excited to see smackiland & beyond in my reader. I loved your story and your photo’s too. It takes a village. I’m so happy for you all. I think when you adopt a rescue dog, they almost seem to be saying thank you every day for the rest of their precious lives. Blessed is a home that knows that kind of love. xoxox LUL K
Thanks Boomdee! It’s been quite a while since I’ve written…. She’s my muse! LOL! We are blessed. I think our little family has a lot of love to give… and most certainly, she fits right in, as she’s a total cuddle bug of love, and sheer joy.
Pingback: A Moment to Paws… | "smackiland" & beyond